Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Technical math


Welcome to free online math help,
Technical subjects (like math or chemistry) are often taught
backward, and I wish I could give you a good reason for that, but I
can't. Everyone I knew growing up hated high-school chemistry, and so
did I, because we seemed to spend endless hours doing things like
converting grams to pounds and ounces to liters, and learning to
determine how much of reagents X and Y you'd need to make some
particular amount of reagent Z.

None of which has anything to do with
what's really going on in chemistry! They don't help you understand
why different substances have different colors, why some are
transparent while others are opaque, math help com; why some are hard and brittle
while others are soft and pliable, why water gets larger when it
freezes while most other things get smaller, why fish smell so bad if
they aren't frozen immediately, how two things as different as
diamonds and graphite can be made by arranging the same kinds of atoms
in different configurations... and so on.

It's an enormous, endlessly
fascinating subject - and it almost seems at times as if there is a
conspiracy among high school chemistry teachers to keep all the good
stuff a secret.
more examples on math forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment